Sunday, January 14, 2007

Baffle Step Correction Clarity!

Ok - so anyone who may have been keeping track of my angst with my LP#9's will have determined that I've been struggling with a rising response. The Martin-King site recommends a baffle step correction circuit. I tried the circuit and was not thrilled.

NOW I'm Thrilled. I replaced the components of the BSC with cement clad wire round resistors and presto - no more film - the highs were still clear and the bass came out just as it should. I also replaced the solen caps. with some dayton polyprop.

So if you want - go for the LP#9 design. It's done. I'm happy.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Martin said...

Hud,

I am glad things are working out for you with the BSC filter. Can you tell me what type (manufacturer's name) of resistor you were using before and what type you are using now? Can you provide a site/link where you got your BSC components and what types and values you decided worked the best for all of the filter components. I am always looking to learn from what people end up using for BSC circuits.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

1:10 PM  
Blogger Beltway Bandit said...

The parts ended up coming from Parts Express. I am completely and totally satisfied with this company. Fast turn around is an understatement and I've never received a wrong part.

The original BSC circuit was designed with Mills Wire wound resistors and solen caps, and an Iron Core ESRE inductor. It was re-created with a 2.0H Inductor ( 266-904) in parallel with a cement 10W 5 Ohm (XICON PE#016-5) resistor. The zobel across the speaker is a Dayton Metallized Polypropylene Capacitor (5.1uf), and an 8 Ohm Resistor.

I know the "calculation" for the zobel network says the value should be much less but it sounds right to me as it is so I didn't mess with it.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Camdyn said...

Keep up the good work.

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home